Friday 13 January 2012

Back on Track

It's been a while since my last post due to a couple of life changing decisions including one to change my career direction.  You may think this has kept me out of the kitchen but on the contrary that's where I've been spending most of my time over the past weeks, I just haven't been inspired to blog about my efforts; my thoughts have been elsewhere...so decisions made I'm back on track and feeling very relaxed and positive as I launch into 2012.

During the Christmas period I tried out a new (to me) soup on family and friends and it met with resounding success, so that, combined with the fact they all requested the recipe, has led me back to Holly Grove Kitchen, and it's good to be back.

The soup in question is a spicy parsnip soup, if you're quick you'll catch the end of the parsnip season and with the weather turning a mite chilly it's just what the doctor ordered.
parsnip and carrot version
Spicy Parsnip Soup
Ingredients
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 tbsp sunflower oil
675g parsnips, peeled and diced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1.2 litres vegetable stock
150ml creme fraiche

Method
Gently cook the onion in the oil for a few minutes until softened.  Add the parsnips and cook for a futher 3 minutes.  Add the spices, stir well and cook for 1 minute.  Add the stock, bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes until parsnips are soft.

Remove from heat and liquidise the soup until smooth.  Add the creme fraiche and stir well to combine with the soup. Heat through and then serve with good crusty bread.

Note: I've also tried this recipe with a half and half mix of carrots and parsnips - equally yummy!  You could replace the creme fraiche with either cream or yoghurt or a combination of these dairy ingredients.

2 comments:

Sylvie said...

Good to have you posting again. Happy 2012!

Susan@Holly Grove said...

Sylvie, It's good to be back, just hope I can keep it up through 2012.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...