Sunday 12 September 2010

Egg Whites

Yesterday I made some biscuits which required two egg yolks, I don't like to waste food so I used the egg whites to make meringues.  I've not made these before and was intrigued to understand the process.

The egg whites were beaten in a clean bowl with an electric whisk until they formed soft peaks, 100g of caster sugar was added a spoonful at a time whilst continuing to beat the egg whites.  Continue whisking until the egg whites form stiff peaks and the mix looks glossy.


Put spoonfuls of the meringue mix onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and place in the oven at 140C.  I baked mine at this temperature for about 60 minutes though the recipe said one and a half hours.  At the end of this time the meringues should lift easily off the baking parchment and sound hollow.  Leaving the meringues in the oven, turn off the heat and open the oven door and leave the meringues for a further 30 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before storing in an airtight tin.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the meringues...an autumnal Eton mess perhaps?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...