Monday 15 November 2010

Ingredient Challenge

Following my early success in the No Croutons Required monthly challenge last month I thought I'd risk it again and make a dish for the November challenge.  This one is more tricky as it's using an ingredient selected by Lisa that I've never cooked with before - quinoa.

From the reading that I've done on this grain, I understand that it can be used in place of couscous or rice in most recipes.  With this in mind, and given that I submitted a soup recipe for the October challenge, I've decided to try a salad this time.  The resulting dish was lighter than a couscous version and less grainy than a rice version; I'll be trying quinoa again perhaps in a soup next time.


Quinoa, Courgette and Dolcelatte Salad
Ingredients
75g quinoa
1 small courgette, sliced into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
quarter of a red onion, finely diced
75g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red chilli, finely diced
75g dolcelatte, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Method
Cook the quinoa following the packet instructions.  Drain and refresh under cold running water.  Leave to drain and cool.

When cool, add the courgette ribbons, chopped onion, chilli, cherry tomatoes and dolcelatte cubes and toss together well.  Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar together and pour over the salad.  Toss together and there you have it!

Note: I didn't add any salt to this salad as the salty flavour of the cheese added enough flavour for me.

2 comments:

Lisa Turner said...

Wonderful! Such a delightful combination. Thanks for your submission.

Susan@Holly Grove said...

Hi Lisa, thank you for your kind comment - fingers crossed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...